Aller au contenu

Omega Doom - Albert Pyun (1996)

Superwonderscope

Messages recommandés

disponible en DVD Zone 1 dans une version Widescreen 2.35:1 et DD 2.0, en double programme avec Blind Fury.

Scénario : Ed NAHA & Albert PYUN d'après une histoire de Albert PYUN... ça le fait. Un hommage aux films de Kurosawa des 50's (son maître) et au western italien que Puyn a toujours beaucoup apprécié... mais le western italien s'étant copieusement servi dans le cinéma japonais, hein...

(Cyborg est un remake à peine déguisé de Keoma -en beaucoup mieux, je le rappelle )

Bref, feu la société de Pyun (Filmwerks) a trouvé un filon en Slovaquie. Décors en ruine, service de prod à prix réduits et avec un contrat pour livrer plusieurs films de SF.

Décors qui serviront à plusieurs films (Nemesis 4, Crazy Six, Urban menace, etc...)

De ce fait, scénario écrits à la hate, tournage emballé en moins d'une semaine. C'est d'autant plus curieux que Pyun refuse le spectaculaire, l'action à tout prix pour privilégier ses thèmes de prédilection : monde en déliquescence, anti-héros en butte au monde face à son destin auquel il ne peut echapper, solitude, anti-conformisme, volonté d'humanité et une certaine naïveté de langage.

J'aime bien car je n'assiste pas à un nième actioner décérébré au montage haché, PM production style. c'est pas le but du film. L'atmosphère de fin du monde, le calme apparent, les lents mouvements de camera et un propos moins con qu'à l'habitude. dommage que le scénario, très mminimaliste, n'utilise pas son potentiel. Ceci dit, vu l'argent investit, y'a pas du avoir d'autres possibilités

Le ton est là aussi celui des héros fatigués et désenchantés. La dualité homme machine, revenant souvent en leitmotiv chez Pyun, demeure sous-exploitée ici. Ce qui done quand même quelcques situations & dialogues absurdes du plus bel effet.

techniquement parlant, le cadre est soigné et la photographie de première classe.

On retrouve tous les habitués de chez Pyun de cette époque.

George Mooradian à la photo : honteusement ignoré, il est un des directeurs photo les plus doués de ces dernières années. Tony Riparetti à la musique.

Côté acteurs, Rutger Hauer (qui fera une appraitin dans Blast la même année), Norbert Weisser , qui joue dans 98% des films de Pyun, reprenant ici un "role" en echo à Nemesis 3 et 4, et Tina Coté, une revenante aussi, dont le role de Blackheart fait immanquablement penser à Carrie-Ann Moss dans Matrix . On aperçoit aussi Cynthia Ireland, la soeur de Kathy (qui joua dans L'aventure Fantastqiue/Alien from L.A)

PS : eviter à tout prix la VHS en pan and scan, c'est un vrai massacre de l'image!

Alors 1 : CYBORG est une bombe, KEOMA est fun mais c'est pas la moitié de la cheville du Pyun.

Et 2: OMEGA DOOM est fun. Et je pense sincèrement que tu devrais lui donner une chance au bon format .

j'avais particulièrment détesté Keoma lors de ma preière vision. le revoir au format quelques années plus tard (euh...cette année en fait ) a quand même changé ma perception du film.

j'avais particulièrment détesté Keoma lors de ma preière vision. le revoir au format quelques années plus tard (euh...cette année en fait ) a quand même changé ma perception du film.

Ahahaha, je te vois venir avec tes gros sabots !

OK, je redonne une chance à OMEGA DOOM, parce que j'ai malgré tout envie de l'apprécier ce machin (même si Pyun a fait des merdes irratrapables, ce que tu approuveras bien entendu), mais il est hors de question que je débourse plus de 10 francs suisses dans la galette parce que :

1 - j'ai quand même des doutes

2 - ma wish list fait 200 pages

3 - j'ai pas beaucoup de sous

Voila, si vous voulez vous cotiser pour Noël afin de m'offrir le DVD OMEGA DOOM, ne vous génez pas

Unforgettably spooky dystopian vision...try it., April 10, 2001

Reviewer: inframan (the lower depths) - See all my reviews

It's got a lot of style, plenty of scenes & characters & situations that you remember like you remember all the really strange dreams & disturbing nightmares in your life...& let's face it, that's an element that a lot of us oook for in good "sci-fi" (& a lot more of us used to before we got so soft & comfy). Rutger Hauer is a master of this genre. He's a hip Schwartzenneger. A very cool movie that should build a good following.

Albert Pyun's film about being absolutely boring..., January 23, 2003

Reviewer: L. Varnau "nerff20" (Indy) - See all my reviews

I have made much note of the fact that Albert Pyun is my least-favorite of all the directors out there. This is one of the reasons. "Omega Doom" is so incredibly confusing, so amazingly bland, and so annoyingly bad that I was suffering through what seemed like decades of runtime but only turned out to be 90 minutes. How did such a movie slip past the executives at Columbia-TriStar? Did they not see the immensely terrible filmmaking at work, or the money they were wasting? A big question I had after this film was: what in Bob's name was this movie about? It looked like "Blade Runner" only with more straight-faced, boring dialogue than a one-man version of King Lear performed by Steven Seagal! And Rutger Haur was awful in this! The poor guy's a good actor, but he hasn't made a decent film since "Blade Runner!" Why do I keep mentioning that movie? Because it was the polar opposite of "Omega Doom." Albert Pyun, also known as Mr. Damn-the-audience, messes up this film and turns what could have been a terrible movie into a film that is better ...In short, don't buy it. In fact, people should pay you to not even consider it.

Richly Suspenseful Minimalist Tale, October 18, 2002

Reviewer: A viewer (NV USA)

Like 1990's Rutger Hauer film "Blind Fury", "Omega Doom" is unjustly overlooked. In sharp contrast to the majority of movies since the mid-80s that depend on special effects, car crashes and explosions every few minutes, this 1996 flick relentlessly engulfs the viewer in suspense. Viewers seeking cotton candy for the brain will quickly tire of the minimalist nature and few sets it was filmed on, those looking for Alfred Hitchcock-style suspense will savor every moment. Rutger was still just youthful enough to be believable as the hero here. Mystery lovers have here in "Omega Doom" a sci-fi flick worth owning.

The Worst Movie Ever - hehe, January 16, 2002

Reviewer: Xygoth 49 (Fairfax, Virginia USA) - See all my reviews

This is a F grade movie. I mean, COME ON! "Water... on the rocks." The bartender gets threatened all the time but never actually killed. And, of course, "You're fast. Real fast." doo doo... [ZOOOOOM IN] doo doo... [Droid-guy's face] doo doo... [OD's face] doo doo... [repeat for five minutes] doo doo... SWIIZSZH!

The actual fight takes place in about one second.

Ah, and I return again to the classic...

"Water... on the rocks."

'Nuff said.

A lot of movies used this plot. This one is for sci-fi ppl., January 12, 2000

Reviewer: jo bear (Colorado) - See all my reviews

The idea for this "lone warrior enters town with two rival gangs and plays upon them both", was started by Akira Kirowsawa with his film "Yojimbo". "Fistfull of dollars","Last Man Standing" and lastly "Omega Doom" all reiterate the plot because it's a mythos with some power. For one thing it moves away from the notion of a simplistic "good v.s. evil" conflict and presents us instead with the relative dyanmics of beings with different agendas struggling with one another. One could complain that they use such an oft repeated plot in "Omega Doom" but if you look at the majority of what comes out of HollyWood...a mere 4 versions of one storyline makes it pretty fresh! [: I would recommend seeing Yojimbo before seeing any of the remakes, BUT as remakes go I like Omega Doom best.The plot is a bit THIN in comparison to the others. It's not as involved or as direct to the plot. BUT the movie makes an interesting point about the concept of artificial life. It imitates real life without itself being completely real. So a certain depth is lacking in the story line because certain interactions that occur in the other stories would make no sense applied to Robots.The filming is VERY creative, considering it is a low budget film.The ending leaves one feeling they could have continued or elaborated more. I wish it had been a little longer because I enjoyed it so much.I think this is one of the best low-budget sci-fis I'd ever seen. True it's not quite as snazzy as some other high budget pics I could name but if one takes into account what they had when they made this film I'd say they utilized thier resources better then most filmakers with 10 times the budget....If you have any interest in AI based films. "Terminator, Blade Runner" etc; this would make a good addition to your collection. also:Wether or not you like any of the spinoffs, if the plot interests you check out "YoJimbo" because when it comes to depth, charecter and all the stuff people want in a film, there is still nothing like the original...

Voilà, je me souvenais plus du nom du film dont il s'inspire: Yojimbo.

Je le revois ce week end car j'ai ressorti le DVD, j'ai commencé à mater le début hier soir et bon, la cpie du Z1 est super chouette (en 16/9e, même!) et le dolby surround déménage. Belle ambiance de destruction, camera fluide, Hauer le sourire aux lèvres, Weisser qui se fait shooter dans la tete...j'adore.

• 6 months later...
  • 13 years later...
  • Créer...